Thursday, October 14, 2010

What Is Wrong with Me

After the last manuscript, which I wrote in a total frenzy over the course of a year, I decided I needed to relax a little bit and write some unserious poems for a while. Write whatever you want, I told myself. No rules and no restrictions! What a dangerous game to play--I took this new freedom and ran with it and consequently the new poems are so, so unpublishable. The one I wrote yesterday is about dolphins who grow breasts and are totally surprised. I spent like four hours on it, scrunching up my little face with concentration. I thought so hard about what a dolphin breast might look like that I should maybe be arrested. I'll probably change the title but right now I'm calling it "Perfect Little Mouthfuls," which wins an award for Title Most Likely to Never Appear in Any Magazine, Ever.

Hmm. Would now be a good time to link that Hey Champ video where the women's boobs are dolphin faces, which I had never encountered until I typed the previously unthinkable query "dolphin breasts" into Google Images? I warn you, though--once you see you can never unsee.

8 comments:

Pam said...

thank god for the google machine

Patricia Lockwood said...

We are so blessed

Anonymous said...

i think i know what you mean tricia. my personal poetry inclinations and the things i'm enjoying writing right now seem diametrically opposed to what people want to publish.

i'm working on a big collaborative thing at the moment, about one of the robots from the transformers cartoon, an involved thing that requires poets to write poems that can be "transformed" three different ways and also to be "plugged into" each other and it's very exciting but also quite possibly the largest wtf i've ever undertaken. i keep expecting the other poets to say "no - you know what? this is too stupid even for me" and then i'll have to write it all myself and to be honest that secretly pleases me even more.

Patricia Lockwood said...

That is the best kind of place to be, Adam, and that's the best kind of project to be working on, to my eyes

Anonymous said...

well stunt-cat and the poodle poem have been greatly inspirational to me, no joke.

Patricia Lockwood said...

That honors me, thank you

Whimsy said...

Speaking of which, kids only see dolphins in this:

http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:156808

Adults always see sex. Weird.

Patricia Lockwood said...

Are we to take collegehumor's word on that?