Friday, March 12, 2010

The Rejection Files

Strange week. I've never posted a rejection here before, but I'm going to make an exception in this case.

Dear Patricia,

As stunning as some of the writing is in this poem, in the end we're not quite convinced of the success of the whole thing. We'd love to read more of your work, though, whenever you care to send it.

All best,

Christian Wiman
POETRY

Now, that made me so tingly; when I finished reading I was all WHOA YES I AM FILLED WITH A VICTORY SENSATION. Elegant Choice, however, had a different reaction.

Me: Read this rejection!

EC (reads, frowns): Oh no, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?

Me: Of course I'm okay--I'm stunning, lol. Wait, why wouldn't I be okay?

EC: Because they thought your poem was an unconvincing failure?

Me: That's a bald reading, very bald! Way to behead my happiness, you guillotine!

EC (soothingly): It's not a big deal. Some people fail a lot in their lives. Just try harder next time.

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

I can't find your email anywhere, would you email me? sfrischkorn at hotmail dot com. Pretty please? Quick question for you.

Patricia Lockwood said...

Oh, I'm sorry--you can email me at happybirthdaywallace at yahoo dot com. I took down my previous Statement of Purpose and forgot to include my email in the new one.

Richard Epstein said...

My favorite, which I got just a couple months ago, was, "Thanks for letting us read these awesome poems! Sorry we can't use them."

I said, "I could make them less awesome if that would help," but they were not amused.

Patricia Lockwood said...

I got a bizarre one last year, I don't remember from who, that read, "I can't BREATHE when I read these poems!!!"

Radish King said...

Oh for crap sake. You are SO MUCH BETTER than they are. I hope they don't read this.
Love,
Bob

Radish King said...

My favorite was recent. I was asked to submit to a journal so I did because I usually do when I'm invited and I don't mind being rejected even if I'm invited. The thing is these people (person) reads my blog and wanted more of my RELIGIOUS POETRY POETRY SPECIFICALLY ABOUT JESUS AND GOD.

hahahahahahaaaa.
Love,
Bob

Patricia Lockwood said...

Okay, I laughed at your first comment but I almost died at your second. MORE JESUS GOD POEMS PLEASE

South Boston Tree Removal said...

Much appreciate you sharing this.