Friday, April 25, 2008

Notice My Slick Trick Ending

Yesterday I felt a strong urge to play Runaway Sandwich Island, one of my favorite childhood games. SCENARIO: Parental mistreatment has forced you to run away to an island with nothing but a bag of sandwiches! Eat them as slowly as you can! Is the name counterintuitive? No doubt many of you thought first of an island entirely populated with teenage drug-addicted prostitute sandwiches, all wet with jelly in their middles. Anyway, I ran to Barnes and Noble to pick up a copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and was moved to wonder just what the hell is going on with the covers of Barnes and Noble Classics. I happen to own three of these: Middlemarch, Robinson Crusoe, and now poor Tom; and the covers are just the saddest smears of mustard-crap I've seen in my entire little life--a life which gets big tomorrow, when I turn into a twenty-six year old!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[happy birthday]