Wednesday, November 01, 2006

HAPPY PONDEROUS AUTUMNAL HALLOWALLACE


Hallowallace! That is what Ana, who is rich in cleverness, named it. She writes: "alright. i thought before October ran out i HAD to contribute in some fashion--here is a PONDEROUS, AUTUMNAL HALLOWALLACE. yes, i'm yelling. with joy!" As did I when I laid my eyes on her creation. I was sadly unable to post this yesterday, seeing as how I was attending many dozens of frightening parties with my wealthy and attractive friends*, but Wallace does not mind, seeing as how he is dead and the concept of days and lateness are so silly to him now. The quote "inanimate in an inert savoir" is taken from "The Plain Sense of Things," which I will reproduce here in its entirety because I love it so much and it is so appropriate for the bygone scary holiday.

The Plain Sense of Things

After the leaves have fallen, we return
To a plain sense of things. It is as if
We had come to an end of the imagination,
Inanimate in an inert savoir.

It is difficult even to choose the adjective
For this blank cold, this sadness without cause.
The great structure has become a minor house.
No turban walks across the lessened floors.

The greenhouse never so badly needed paint.
The chimney is fifty years old and slants to one side.
A fantastic effort has failed, a repetition
In a repetitiousness of men and flies.

Yet the absence of the imagination had
Itself to be imagined. The great pond,
The plain sense of it, without reflections, leaves,
Mud, water like dirty glass, expressing silence

Of a sort, silence of a rat come out to see,
The great pond and its waste of lilies, all this
Had to be imagined as an inevitable knowledge,
Required, as a necessity requires.

We have not come to the end of the imagination yet, though, my friends. I will make a surprising announcement later today**, when I also announce what prizes I will be awarding the three geniuses who won the contests. Be full of anticipation!

*This is untrue.
**And by "later today," I mean "tomorrow," because my ultimate drawing is not quite finished yet. I think you'll find it worth the wait, though. Extra apologies to my three geniuses who have been waiting for news of their prizes!

No comments: