Friday, March 16, 2007

Dylan Thomas+Crazy Dick Weeklong Interpretive Extravaganza: Interpretation the Last


And that's the rub, the only rub that tickles.
The knobbly ape that swings along his sex
From damp love-darkness and the nurse's twist
Can never raise the midnight of a chuckle,
Nor when he finds a beauty in the breast
Of lover, mother, lovers, or his six
Feet in the rubbing dust.

from "If I Were Tickled By the Rub of Love"

It is tragical, but this marks the last official day of the Dylan Thomas+Crazy Dick Weeklong Interpretive Extravaganza. Oh, what? A week is however long I want it to be, fools. In today's drawing, Crazy Dick, who is insane, believes himself to be a bald little tree full of God's creatures. Notice that the line could be changed to read, "The sexly ape that swings along his knob," and not suffer a single iota for it.

6 comments:

Jee Leong said...

Or the line can go: "The knobbly sex that swings along his ape." That's the great thing about Dylan Thomas, the nouns are interchangeable and the line still sound vaguely grand.

Jee Leong

Patricia Lockwood said...

It's true! That same quality makes his titles ideal for that game where you add the phrase "in my pants" to the end of a sentence. "Do You Not Father Me (in my pants)," "Incarnate Devil (in my pants)," "From Love's First Fever to Her Plague (in my pants)." The force that through the green fuse drives the flower in my pants!

Jee Leong said...

That reminds me of what must be added to the end of fortunes in fortune cookies. Mine today is "Knowledge is power (+ in bed)." Which may be the soundest sex advice I have read!

Patricia Lockwood said...

It works exceedingly well for my own all-time favorite fortune: YOU WILL FIND SOME GOLD (IN BED)!

Adam said...

This insert has a protective coating in bed?

IT WORKS!!!!

Patricia Lockwood said...

As far as I can tell, it's pretty much all-purpose.